Friday 27 March 2009

Heal/Hail

I had an afternoon to-day with a friend of mine from high school. E is probably the only one from my graduating class (and many more classes before and after ours) with whom I can still connect. We spent four or so hours just enjoying each others' company and it was the first time I laughed authentically in weeks, if not longer.

Within an hour after her departure I was in emotional distress. No, "distress" is not the word. I was in this state of bland pain. Rather, painful blandness. I spent a few hours thinking to myself I was going mad with boredom (to some, that might be translated as "loneliness," but that is not quite what I felt, I think). I did crosswords and SuDoKu and caught up my celebrity gossip, but this "I'm going mad" feeling did not pass.

I nicked some wine from my parents' cupboard and things eased. Then I went out and bought some of my own. Things are much better now.

I pretend that I have recovered from my all-too-recent alcohol-as-a-crutch days, but if I have not, I am OK with that. It doesn't get in the way of family, friends, work, life, anything. It just makes all of these more easy to tolerate.

All hail
!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Heart skipped a beat.

Wouldn't have left if I woulda known.

I'm glad to know some of my O.Chem. studies stuck. Ethanol. Woohoo!