Saturday 6 October 2007

Dullery

Internet. In flat. Happy.

I'm officially beginning my academic year at Oxford. I've met with both my tutors and have reading and assignments to do. It's a little intimidating (OK, a lot), but at the same time it's a relief to finally get started. You can only spend so much time at the Bar Quad and eating Jammy Dodgers.

As I mentioned, in my theology tutorial, we're going to be a doing (mostly textual) study of Hebrew Scriptures, beginning with Kohelet. I've picked up a few books, two on Kohelet and one on methods of reading the Old Testament. I don't have to do any sort of writing for the next meeting (Monday morning), just skim and study and reflect, but I don't know yet how to direct my thoughts on it. I'll be doing plenty or re-reading, I'm sure.

As for my history tutorial, I was able to reschedule my meeting with Will and he gave me a proper "answer this question" essay to do on politeness in the 18th century. It looks like we'll be doing quite a bit of history as studied through social and cultural perspectives, as opposed to politics. It looks like the professor went to a lot of effort arranging this just for me, contrary to my initial opinion that I was a tack-on student. It makes it more exciting. Now I just have to read the 10 or so sources and write the paper by Thursday. Golden.

In social news, um, I hate socially stuff. It'll be just fine, I know, but it's hard right now. There was a Back-to-School Bop last night, and at least I was able to loosen up a bit and meet some new-ish people. Good-ness. (PS Hard cider is dangerous.)

Will update when I have something more interesting and thought-provoking to write!

No comments: