Thursday 4 October 2007

Catching Up

Although the last post is dated the 25th of September, the 4th of October is actually when I got to get my laptop online. Due to messy flat internet nonsense, only half the flats have internet now. Mine is not one of them.

I’ve been in Oxford for over a week now. Most of this time has been spent getting oriented with Wadham College, Oxford University, and the city of Oxford. We (the Sarah Lawrence College programme) are living in a row of flats about a half hour walk from our college, but since I was able to pick up a bike it’s an easy 10-minute ride. That leaves me bruised from ankle to knee. Don’t ask.

I had my first meeting with one of my tutors on Tuesday, with whom I’ll be studying Old Testament theology. We’re going to start with text-based studies of Kohelet, or Ecclesiastes and probably expand into more of the Writings of the Old Testament. I was supposed to meet with my other tutor to-day but being the inept ‘tard that I am, I missed our meeting. Yeah, you heard me, I missed my first impression with my professor of British history and literature in the 18th and 19th centuries. *dies*

Other than finding my way around Oxford, my time has been spent trying to fit in socially. I’m living in a flat with three Sarah Lawrence girls, Kim, Emily, and Jay. I’m not particularly close with any of them, but they – and most people on the program – have been great. There have also been countless freshers’ events at Wadham, including pub gulf (I just went along to watch – it’s a lot more entertaining than regular golf), clubbing at Filth (also a great social study), and quiet-ish nights on campus. I’ve met a handful of Wadham freshers as well, one of whom is one of my “college sisters,” Rose. (To help us settle in, we’re assigned a couple of second-years as college parents, and other first-years as siblings.)

Right now it seems overwhelming to try to retell the lot of it. Hopefully over the next couple weeks I’ll get more to access things like a keep-people-far-away-updated blog. Do send me e-mails, much love and all that goodness!

Rina

No comments: