Saturday 25 July 2009

Only Opportunities at Hope

Earlier to-night I (drunkenly?) set my FaceBook status to read, "Rina's only opportunities of hope are in remembering the brief moments when you were hers, and hers alone." Then I hoped to write a bunch of memories of the people I love most in the world (funny how they all tend to be my Oxonian friends). I worried how lopsided it might seem on FaceBook, you know, only writing comments about Ox friends, so thought I would try it here, using nicknames (that some of them might not even recognize). I hope when I stumble across memories of these folk, I will bother to insert them here. For my posterity. For my sanity.

STJ: Running into you in your Grown Up Clothes as you parked your bike at Broad/Cornmarket.
Aimz: you sitting on the counter with a bottle of fortified wine the first night I met you. Also, the evening with you me, and Marie (Easter?) when you and I sat on your front stoop and made out (again).Giggling, arm-in-arm, on our way to Tesco's to buy wine on my first night back in town; Giggling, arm-in-arm, on our way to Tesco's to buy wine on my first night back in town.
Pumpkin: you telling me that "loo" is what your mum calls it; also, our only Rose + Rina night in flat night with wine on my bed; Crawling into your bed at 3am after a crazy library stint apologizing for smelling like cigarettes and you says "it's OK I like it."; Giggling, arm-in-arm, on our way to Tesco's to buy wine on my first night back in town.
Dom: Reaching blindly into your window to find your keys to slip into your room to catch up on sleep before my tutorial. puking up your sleeve in that cab;
Al: you being the only one there when I finally realized where my passport was -- and then me suggesting opening a bottle of wine to celebrate the recovery of it.
Grump: your cane -- gawd, make it stop!; Black Books night with Pringles and wine
La Mia: your colors and light and scarves -- not just who you are, but that of yourself which you lent to others -- your wooden earrings and your hippie trousers (or were they rose's who cares that's half the charm) -- and being the one I slept with, and then the one I accidentally kicked out of bed, what with my vigorous sleeping; Biking past your window and looking up to see your refrigeratorables on the sills;
Hugging you in the in-progress porter's lodge, despite my biker's sweat; You leaving your door ever-unlocked for the greater good.
HT: Talking about your shoes' issues in the Wadham pub.
Most of you: HUMMUS.

Many people, much loved.

No comments: