Wednesday 28 November 2007

Scattered

I glanced at that last post and thought, "oh, a week has passed. It was another long Tuesday to-day." Then I realized that, in fact, TWO weeks had passed. I'm mere days away from the end of my first term at Oxford. I can't quite process it yet, as I still have two papers to complete and turn in this week (one on Matthew Arnold's ideology and another on the commentaries on the Biblical story of the Great Flood). Still, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Which is nice, except it gets in my eyes and I can't see the audience and it keeps me awake, this bright light.

You know how after a training for a marathon and running it, people often get depressed? I feel like I'm in that sort of state. Not depressed, of course, just in this "down" slump. I need a break more than anything right now, but the idea of all that free time boggles the mind. I'll be spending about 5 weeks in Israel visiting my brother and my sister and their respective spouses, so that should be lovely. I booked the tickets back in September when I figured I'd hate it here and not have any friends in the area. But now that I see that's not the case, I wish I had only booked the tickets for three or so weeks in Israel. I'm also thinking ahead to Easter break and how I can spend a couple weeks in Oxford.

It's a beautiful city and I wish I had the time to just wander it with a camera and rolls of film (speaking of which, new photos here and here). Also one girl I've gotten to know pretty well lives in London and has invited me for visits over breaks.

Anyway, no use regretting all that nonsense. It will be a lovely time in Israel. I will be able to collect myself and all the bits of gray matter that are scattered about the Bodleian. First, however, I need to get through these next couple days: More coffee, please!

No comments: